[ltp] Screen resolution for text terminals?

Eric Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:07:26 -0500

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 06:48:04PM +0100, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> I want to know how to set up the screen resolution for text
> terminals. I mean, I have a 1024x768 lcd screen (on a R52 thinkpad),
> but when I'm on a text terminal (like Ctrl+Alt+F1, etc.), the fonts
> are not as clear as when I'm on graphical mode.
>
> I think this may be because text terminals are on 800x600, maybe
> less, so as lcd screens can't adapt themselves to other resolutions,
> they seem blurred.

You can get a 1024x768 console by using a framebuffer, but the
characters are not antialiased, and so they still won't look as nice
as they do in X.

When I want a nice-looking text-only screen, I start X using ratpoison
(a minimal, keyboard-only window manager) and a single white-on-black
xterm (which automatically fills the entire screen). That way I get
antialiased fonts, plus the ability to switch easily to graphical
applications like firefox.