[ltp] Screen resolution for text terminals?

Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:28:16 +0000

Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I want to know how to set up the screen resolution for text terminals. I
> mean, I have a 1024x768 lcd screen (on a R52 thinkpad), but when I'm on a
> text terminal (like Ctrl+Alt+F1, etc.), the fonts are not as clear as when
> I'm on graphical mode.
>
> I think this may be because text terminals are on 800x600, maybe less, so as
> lcd screens can't adapt themselves to other resolutions, they seem blurred.
>
> So... how to force a 1024x768 for text modes?

You want the VGA=foo option in lilo.conf. Make sure you make a copy of a
working paragraph rather than modifying your only boot stanza, because
if you pick a wrong option, you won't be able to see any text!

vga=794   seems to work well for me. (A22p)

See also the vga section of
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

Best wishes,

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.