[ltp] USB not working in 2.6.x on 390e

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:28:52 +1000

At 07:18 PM 31/08/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion on how to fix. Due to this I
>am still on 2.4 so my USB sound card works.

USB works "out-of-the-box" for me on 2.6.8.1-12, at least my 4-port hub,
with a mouse as a permanent fixture and with a range of flash memory
devices (memory stick, digital voice recorder w. 512 Mb, ordinary flash
drive, card reader).

Can you see the USB service starting up when you boot up in runlevel 3?

I have sound set up (finally!) using the internal ESS Solo 1 pci card with
the supplied esssolo1 driver.  Sound setup is something that I found Mdk
10.1 (at least) does not do overly well.  It's been an ordeal even getting
sound to work with the supported pci card. I haven't got around to trying
out my USB soundcard (a Griffin iMic) because I assumed I'd need a driver
for it and Griffin doesn't distribute one.

At the weekend I installed the full version of Mandriva 2005LE, hoping that
the sound issue had been resolved in the later 2.6 kernel.  It had.  KDE
sound effects were working fine, the output from the onboard speakers was
better and volume control from the kmixer actually worked.

However, USB device detection appeared broken.  Although the USB mouse
worked fine during the install, it wasn't detected at all after the
reboot.  When I plugged in the flash drive, it automounted the device OK to
/mnt/removable (I was able to cd to it and read its root directory) but the
machine crashed when I tried to play an MP3 file off it using Xmms. The
kernel version there is 2.6.11.6, but I have no way to tell whether it's
the kernel that's at fault, or something the Mandriva people have done to Xmms.

Like you, I've reverted;  but only back to 2.6.8.1-12.  I have all of my
USB support back (though now I have a showstopper PPP problem I didn't have
with the original Mdk 10.1 installation! another story....)

When I get a chance later today, I'll give it a whirl with my iMic
soundcard and let you know what happens.

Helen