[ltp] USB not working in 2.6.x on 390e

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:43:16 +1000

At 01:28 PM 1/09/2005 +1000, I wrote:

>When I get a chance later today, I'll give it a whirl with my iMic
>soundcard and let you know what happens.

Yup, the iMic is detected and all the right things seem to happen...the
system gives an excellent lip-sync imitation of a working sound
system.  The only thing that is missing is noise.  :-)  Removing the iMic
and then rebooting the tp390e, the ESS soundcard is once again detected, we
go through the same process with alsaconf and we are back to the internal
soundcard, all trace of the iMic gone.  And still no noise.

Interestingly, when I started up Amarok while I had the iMic active, it
terminated gracefully with a "cpu overload" message when I asked it to play
an mp3.  Not sure this is anything to worry about, though, as I was running
drakconf at the time in another console.

I really WISH I could find some doc that tells me where the 2.6 distros
have put all the conf stuff.  modules.conf is just an empty file.  I can
find a few bits (including the alsa stuff) in /sbin/modprobe.conf. The
download versions of Mdk 10.1 and Mandriva 2005 just seem so flaky.  I've
been a big fan of Mandrake, for its hardware support, right up to and
including v.10.0 but these more recent versions, with their dumb-user
graphical interface, make it behave so much like W*** that I'm tempted to
start calling it Mandoze and look for a leaner distro.

Anyway, report anything you find out and I'll do the same.  It would be
quite handy if we got it working well and put together a howto.

Helen