[ltp] Re: 560 recommendations? [Actually, a 240 now!]

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:08:32 -0400

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 05:23 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:

> I'll probably live with the 192 to begin with, although I may well
> upgrade it - thanks for the tip. Does software suspend actually work? I
> thought it was still experimental only.

I have it working on my 240.  It *is* still experimental, but if the
BIOS suspend-to-disk won't work, it basically becomes the only option.
BIOS suspend-to-ram will work regardless of amount of RAM, but I just
prefer the machine to be off and using no battery at all.

> I hope that KDE will run in that, although I may have to resort to icewm!

I can say Gnome/KDE work well in 320MB (provided you turn off some of
the CPU-consuming eye candy).  When I had lower RAM in the machine, I
used XFCE.

> For now, it really just needs to run Firefox and VNCviewer. But I may
> well upgrade it soon...

That shouldn't be much of a problem.

> Aha! I have a 770....
> I didn't realise the drives were compatible

If you have the external drive, it should plug right into the port on
the left side of the 240.  Alternatively, put the 240's hard drive into
the 770's caddy and install on the 770, then transfer the drive back to
the 240.

> Sorry - I may be confused here. iirc, all the really old (1995 era)
> cards work with newer systems, but newer cards won't even physically fit
> into an older one. Which is which?

All I can say here is that I've used both some old Sandisk "flashdisk"
cards as well as brand-new cardbus wireless adapters and USB2 cards in
the slot on my 240.  The most problem you might have with wireless is
getting either a card with Linux drivers or getting ndiswrapper
installed - not whether the card will fit in the slot.

> > The 240 has a USB (1.0) port.  How about a USB1.0/Ethernet adapter?
> > They're very small (like the 240 :) ) and most are supported in Linux.
> > That should get you connectivity *and* let you read flash cards / use
> > another PCMCIA device at the same time.

> I think that's the way to go :-)

Just make sure you get one that will work with a USB1 port.  Again,
those should not be very hard to find.  I bought one of these two days
ago at a local retailer.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <charletiv@gmail.com>
*  ( Formerly tomalek@mindspring.com )
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/ (moving soon!)