[ltp] Help, no sound fc4, A20m

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:59:12 +1000

Bert,
At 12:37 PM 3/09/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm trying to set up a A20M with FC4 for a friend and everything is fine
>except
>no sound anywhere cd, xmms, etc.
>I did the alsamixer thing, sound detect, cat interrupts shows CS46XX, cat
>ioports does
>not show anything that looks like a sound card.
>lspci does show Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio
>Accelerator] (rev 01)
>The sound does work ( fine ) when I booted up using the Dyne Bolic live cd.
>
>I know that I'm missing something but can't find it.

Don't know if this helps, as I'm still struggling a bit with sound myself...

PIcked up the following snippets in Google:

"Sound seems to be the most difficult part right now. The ThinkPad uses the
cs461x driver available as OSS and Alsa driver. I am using the Alsa driver
currently. To get sound at all you will need to disable PCI Power
Management in the BIOS. The OSS Driver seems to have a workaround in it
with poking at the ACPI area.

I am using this modules.conf extension for alsa:

         alias char-major-116 snd
         alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs461x
         alias char-major-14 soundcore
         alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
         alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
         alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
         alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
         alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
         options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
         options snd-card-cs461x snd_index=0
Another one:

" The soundcard worked out of the box. Try "modprobe cs46xx".

You may need to add the following lines to /etc/modutils/sound:

   alias char-major-14 cs46xx
   alias sound cs46xx

Then do a "echo sound >> /etc/modules". Sound is now loaded automatically
at startup.
And another:
"Steps I did:

1) Check that the card comes up as CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion
Audio Accelerator] and uses the ALSA snd-46xx driver (not CS46xx)

2) Shut down any [gui setup interface] and any applications that may be
accessing the sound driver. Make sure to check the taskbar for any running
apps like Kmix volume level or Amarok... There's a command to check what
apps are running, but I can't remember what it is.

3) Go to [your services interface] and make sure the ALSA is running, if
not stop and restart it. YOU MUST HAVE MADE SURE YOU DID STEP 2 OR YOU'LL
GET AN ERROR.

4) open a terminal window and log in as root

5) Type "cd /sbin" to go to the sbin directory
Type "./lsmod" to find what sound module is running. mine had 'snd-CS46xx
81896 7'
Type "./modprobe -r snd-CS46xx" to remove the sound module and change
'snd-CS46xx' to whatever yours is from the lsmod command if necessary
Type "./modprobe snd-CS46xx" to reinstall the module
Type "alsamixer" to start the mixer (don't do this from the KDE start menu
but do it here in the terminal
Check that the 'Master' 'PCM' and 'DAC' levels are turned up pretty far.
Arrow right to move to the ones not shown on the screen. These three were
the only ones I needed, plus the CD level. All the others could be muted.
Actually making sure the two 3DContr levels were muted actually helped the
sound quality. Use the 'm' key to mute/unmute.
Press the 'Esc' key to exit.

6) Make sure whatever setting for the application your using are ok and it
should be good to go.

If you're using XMMS and the volume control slider doesn't change the
level, go into XMMS Options->Preferences and configure the ALSA driver to
use software volume control.
And an old ref from this list's own archives referring to the 2.4 kernel
(but maybe it's still applicable):

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2001-July/005400.html

Helen