[ltp] 2.6 kernel kills the CPU fan

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:22:39 +1000

At 04:06 AM 8/09/2005 +0100, you wrote:

>>And, yes, the machine is getting hot enough to put itself into suspend
>>(which one can't get out of) and to not want to complete POST when
>>rebooted after doing this.  I seem to get about 30 minutes "life" before
>>this happens;  and need about 10 mins for cool-down.  The bottom of the
>>case feels hand-hot when this occurs (i.e. about 60-65 Celcius) and I
>>think I can sometimes smell hot fumes (the latter could be my el cheapo
>>gel mousepad, though, it's pretty smelly, even at 5 Celcius).
>
>That's definitely a bug. There is no way that this should be deliberate.
>At least it's an Intel CPU - and so it shuts down when overheated. AMDs
>(at least in some cases), just catch fire!
>
>However, on reflection, the BIOS shouldn't let the OS mess up the fan
>speed anyway. [Eg, what happens when the OS crashes?]
>
>If it is the OS, are you running APM or ACPI?  If you run either the apm
>or acpi commands, what do you get?

Good question.  :-)  At least I know that acpi is installed and running,
since I can see it there when I inspect the services.  Whether the TP390E
supports acpi is another question.  I've never configured acpi before -
never needed to, afaik.  My "industrially active" notebook is a thoroughly
vanilla step 6 Celeron and it "just works" with Mdk 10.1 distro.  My static
server is an AMD Sempron 2200, which runs 24/7 and never runs hot (touches
the nearest wooden object), also running Mdk 10.1.  But, yep, I did get the
Sempron after frying a mainboard by an unknown technique.  (The AMD Duron
850 survived and now runs one of my webservers on a $10 mobo out of
eBay.)  I'm not much bothered about power-saving, beyond sleeping when I'm
sleeping, since I always run notebooks off the mains and power them down
when I'm not using them.  That's not very PC, I know, but I do wash the car
with grey water and take canvas bags to the supermarket. :-)

As for the acpi commands...um...I will need to look them up in "1001 things
you never thought you'd need to know about Linux".

Thanks muchly for the pointers.  I now have a way forward.

cheers,
Helen