[ltp] R52 - pdflush on large disk operations

Onno Benschop linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:45:20 +0930

Brad Langhorst wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 01:38 +0930, Onno Benschop wrote:
>
> =20
>
>>The behaviour I saw was that cron was forking all over the place, the=20
>>machine getting slower and slower. At one stage I had 86 cron processes=
=20
>>running which couldn't be killed. (You should know that I have two cron=
=20
>>jobs that run each minute to log traffic and current active window -=20
>>part of my client billing process.)
>>   =20
>>

>i don't know why a split command would have an effect on cron... but i
>suspect that the problem lies in the programs you are running in cron -
>not cron itself.
>
>try running /bin/true in place of your scripts to see if you still get
>the strange behaviour.
>
>IMHO any system that requires cron jobs to be triggered every minute is
>inherently broken and should be replaced with a daemon.
>
> =20

No as I said further down, it's the disk I/O that is blocking, cron is=20
just a symptom.

--=20
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34=B045'36.5" - E139=B000'08.7" (Mount Pleasan=
t, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

Proudly supported by Skipper Trucks, Highway1, Concept AV, Sony Central, =
Dalcon
ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   onno@itmaze.=
com.au