[ltp] 2.6 kernel kills the CPU fan

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:20:58 +1000

At 09:43 AM 8/09/2005 -0400, Bert Haskins wrote:
>Normal behavior on all of my 390s is that the fan starts up about 4 seconds
>after pushing the on switch.
>It runs until post is completed and then stops at the beep.
>I think that this is normal for most if not all TPs
>as this is post checking the fan.

This is a good description of what mine does.

>If I run memtest-86 the fan will go on after several ( well over ten )
>minutes and then cycle off for a few minutes
>and then back on for a few minutes for as long as the test is run.

Just what mine is doing.  I've had memtest going now for about 2 hours and
the fan is doing just as you describe.

>Its normal for the bottom of the case to feel very warm even while the fan
>is doing it's
>cycling thing.
>I have never had a shut down while doing this ( except for memory chip
>problems ) even though
>memtest will work the cpu harder that just idling at the prompt.
>I also have never had a shutdown even when compiling a kernel.
>So I think that you must have some other problem.
>Have you run a memory test program?
>If so, does it start showing a bunch of errors just before the 390 shuts down?

Haven't had any shutdowns at all since I posted last.  I have shifted the
390 to another power point that has surge protection.  Because I have the
other machines on a UPS, I sometimes forget about our disgusting
infrastructure here in rural Australia.  The power adaptor on my other n/b
has built-in surge protection (and weighs more!).

Another thing I did was to stick the USB hub at the end of a cable.  The
USB port on my 390 is a bit loose and I might have been causing the
problems by bumping the hub in the fairly confined space where I had the
machine.

>The next test is to have the TP on it's side with the memory cover off and a
>fan blowing on the memory chips.
>I have seen plenty of heat-sensitive memory chips in both desktops and
>laptops.
>Some of these will run fine for over an hour and then head for the pits.

Hmmm, not a problem I've ever encountered before, even when the temp is in
the high 30's.  (No aircon here!)  The memory modules are 2 X 128 Mb
brand-new Kingston, so it would be disappointing if they were flaky.

>>>That's definitely a bug.

Yep - in the adhesive of the mousepad.  I've thrown it outside and the
fumes problem has gone away.  :-)

Thanks for these little comforts.  Much appreciated.

Helen