[ltp] Graphical boot for ATI Radeon. Help needed.

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:35:23 +0200

My T40 has a 1400x1050 LCD with an ATI Radeon M9 chip.
Custom patched 2.6.13 kernel that seems to have been configed correctly:

bob@t40:~$ ls -l /dev/fb*
crw-rw----  1 root video 29,  0 2005-09-11 17:24 /dev/fb0
crw-rw----  1 root root  10, 63 2005-09-11 17:24 /dev/fbsplash

I am using a Debian (unstable) system.

A question: how can I assess which mode is my radeonfb running in ?? My
first experiments with fbsplash triggered from swsusp2 show a corrupted
image at boot (although swsusp2 works aok) and swsusp2 author suggested
that I try running the radeonfb at > 8bpp but it seems that no matter
what parameters I use in GRUB's kernel line I always get 1400x1050-8@60
(tried kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13 root=/dev/hda7 ro
video=radeon:1400x1050-16@60).

Some pointers to a good HOWTO guide ? Tried following a few Gentoo based
ones (nice brave people 8->)

TIA,
Bob