[ltp] Power connector on X20

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:14:41 +0100

Neil Caunt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently my X20's power connector has been a bit fragile (i.e. nudging
> the cable will break the connection), and it finally gave up the ghost
> yesterday. I can't power/charge the laptop with the AC adapter now at
> all.
>
> I can get power for a fraction of a second by wiggling the connector
> in the socket, but nothing more. I'm way out of warranty and now have
> the system in bits to see if I can effect a repair. Connections to the
> socket look OK, but I'm no expert in this.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this issue they could share?

I repaired the power socket on a 760 - which is a different style of
connector, but the experience may be relevant.

First - check the obvious: is it the cable to the power supply which is
internally fractured? (you probably need to test under load - at least a
few mA in case it's a hairline).

Then - check the internal connector itself with a meter - is the power
reliably supplied to the output pins on the connector. i.e. is the
easily-replaceable power-socket still good?

Unfortunately, you are most likely to find that these are both OK, and
you have a hairline fracture on the circuit board. You may be able to
fix this - if you can locate it.

Note: make sure you are earthed, and working on an earthed surface.

Richard