[ltp] Linux approved scanner/printer combination

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:45:24 -0400

--------------080406020607050206070705

Jaime Iniesta wrote:

> When I bought the Lexmark X5250 I didn't think I was going to have
> problems on Linux, as the printer would be connected to a Windows
> machine and shared through samba. We were using an old Lexmark printer
> this way and it worked fine.
>
> But... surprise! The new Lexmark won't work even when shared through a
> Windows machine.
>
> Jiame
>

> 2005/9/13, Paul RIVIER <paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr
> <mailto:paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr>>:
>
>     Jaime Iniesta wrote:
>
>     > Don't know about good brands, but I think HP is the best choice
>     for Linux.

IMHO Epson is a better choice.
I am currently using a CX3200 and a CX5200 multi function and have used many
other printer only Epsons in the past.
The 3200 is the better machine for every day bread and butter work.
The 5200 can be a finicky beast but it can do " to die for " high
quality work if it happens to feel like it.

Epson provides excellent support to the Linux community  for all of
their products,
at least those that I am aware of.
Printer and scanner installation, at least under Fedora 2,3,and 4 as a
local printer / scanner is easy.

Now if you want to see why I think that Epsons are a better choice, go
out to Ebay and look up
the price of replacement cartridges for HP and Epson.

The cost difference ( on generic cartridges) can approach ten to one in
Epsons favor.

I have used generic Epson cartridges for all but the very special jobs
for many years with no
major problems

Of course, if you can either give up color or have both ink jet and
laser printers
most lasers will still win for monochrome printing..

>     >
>     > My experience: *Avoid Lexmark*. I bought a scanner+printer device
>     > (X5250) and it is not supported on Linux.
>     >
>     > Jaime
>     >
>     ... and so did some of my friends :( ... don't buy lexmark
>     this times,  HP is making a real effort toward linux community as most
>     of its hardware is *perfectly* supported under free os.
>
>     paul
>
>     >
>     > 2005/8/31, Nate <nrs27@cornell.edu <mailto:nrs27@cornell.edu>
>     <mailto:nrs27@cornell.edu <mailto:nrs27@cornell.edu>>>:
>     >
>     >     It is the beginning of another school year and I find myself
>     >     wanting to
>     >     scan my homework before I turn it in. Coincidentally, I am very
>     >     serious
>     >     about switching to linux on my T41, and would like my
>     hardware to be
>     >     linux friendly.
>     >
>     >     I don't need top of the line speed or anything like that. I
>     just need
>     >     something that can scan and print in black and white. Pluses
>     would be
>     >     Automatic Document Feeder, and color printing in that order.
>     >
>     >     What do you guys use already, or can suggest?
>     >
>     >     -Nathan
>     >     --
>     >     The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
>     >
>     http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
>     >
>     <http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     >
>     > Jaime Iniesta AKA Capitán planeta
>     > email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
>     > jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
>     > webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/
>

>     --
>

> --
>
> Jaime Iniesta AKA Capitán planeta
> email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
> webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

--------------080406020607050206070705

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Jaime Iniesta wrote:<br>
 cite="mid379088500509150847430a72bc@mail.gmail.com">When I bought the
Lexmark X5250 I didn't think I was going to have
problems on Linux, as the printer would be connected to a Windows
machine and shared through samba. We were using an old Lexmark printer
this way and it worked fine.<br>
But... surprise! The new Lexmark won't work even when shared through a
Windows machine.<br>
Jiame<br>
 href="mailto:paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr">paul.rivier@eleve.emn.fr</a>&gt;:</span>
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Jaime
Iniesta wrote:<br>
&gt; Don't know about good brands, but I think HP is the best choice
for Linux.</blockquote>
IMHO Epson is a better choice.<br>
I am currently using a CX3200 and a CX5200 multi function and have used
many<br>
other printer only Epsons in the past.<br>
The 3200 is the better machine for every day bread and butter work.<br>
The 5200 can be a finicky beast but it can do " to die for " high
quality work if it happens to feel like it.<br>
Epson provides excellent support to the Linux community&nbsp; for all of
their products,<br>
at least those that I am aware of.<br>
Printer and scanner installation, at least under Fedora 2,3,and 4 as a
local printer / scanner is easy.<br>
Now if you want to see why I think that Epsons are a better choice, go
out to Ebay and look up <br>
the price of replacement cartridges for HP and Epson.<br>
The cost difference ( on generic cartridges) can approach ten to one in
Epsons favor.<br>
I have used generic Epson cartridges for all but the very special jobs
for many years with no<br>
major problems<br>
Of course, if you can either give up color or have both ink jet and
laser printers<br>
most lasers will still win for monochrome printing.. <br>
 cite="mid379088500509150847430a72bc@mail.gmail.com">
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My experience: *Avoid Lexmark*. I bought a scanner+printer device<br>
&gt; (X5250) and it is not supported on Linux.
&gt;<br>
&gt; Jaime<br>
&gt;<br>
... and so did some of my friends :( ... don't buy lexmark<br>
this times,&nbsp;&nbsp;HP is making a real effort toward linux community as most<br>
of its hardware is *perfectly* supported under free os.
paul<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 2005/8/31, Nate &lt;<a href="mailto:nrs27@cornell.edu">nrs27@cornell.edu</a>
&lt;mailto:<a href="mailto:nrs27@cornell.edu">nrs27@cornell.edu</a>&gt;&gt;:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It is the beginning of another school year and I find myself
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; wanting to<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; scan my homework before I turn it in. Coincidentally, I am very<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; serious<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; about switching to linux on my T41, and would like my hardware
to be<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; linux friendly.
&gt;<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't need top of the line speed or anything like that. I
just need<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; something that can scan and print in black and white. Pluses
would be<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Automatic Document Feeder, and color printing in that order.
&gt;<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What do you guys use already, or can suggest?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -Nathan<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a
 href="http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad">
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;<a
 href="http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad
    </a>&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit&aacute;n planeta<br>
&gt; email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com<br>
&gt; jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org<br>
--<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
    <a
 href="http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad</a><br>
-- <br>
webs: <a href="http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/">http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/</a>