[ltp] Composite performance with X.org - radeon M9

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:46:18 +0100

Hello,

I've tried to enable composite in X.org (with KDE) on my R51 (Radeon
Mobile 9000) this w-e. I run X.org 6.8.2 (from Gentoo) and use the
opensource radeon driver.

The display was stunning but unfortunately, it was rather rather
unusable: X started to use all the CPU. Dragging a window, resizing or
changing focus between windows would take ages. Basically, it was great
until you used the keyboard or the mouse...

I am thinking on changing to a later version of X.org (a recent CVS
snapshot packaged by Gentoo I think) to see if the composite
performance has improved with the radeon driver. Do any of you run
X.org CVS and could let me know if composite performance has improved
enough since 6.8.2 to make it usable with a radeon M9?

I've also heard about EXA acceleration which is meant to improve things
quite a bit. Is that true whith radeon cards too?

My radeon driver options:

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "ATI Mobility Radeon 9000"
     Driver      "radeon"
     VendorName  "IBM Thinkpad"
     BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility M9"

     Option      "DynamicClocks" "on"
     Option      "AGPMode" "4"
 #    Option      "AGPFastWrite" "true"
 #    Option      "EnablePageFlip" "true"
     Option      "backingstore"  "true"
     Option      "RenderAccel"   "true"
EndSection

Enabling "AGPFastWrite" just locks the machine, I can't kill the X
server and I have to use the power button.

I have not tried enabling "EnablePageFlip" yet but I don't know if it
would help either for composite.

Many thanks for your help.

JP

--