[ltp] Wet AC adaptor

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:57:05 -0400

Bob Alexander wrote:
> Christopher Sawtell wrote:
>> I agree with all the other postings which suggest that you should just
>> buy another one. However I can also understand that you might have
>> considerable difficulty obtaining one. I do not know anything about
>> the internal layout of the Power-Pack ( And I'm not going to open mine
>> to find out - even for someone from Linuix-Land - so sorry )  but from
>> the look of my one you might be able to open it by cutting aound it
>> with a very fine saw in the slot where the two halves join.
>>

> Chris,
> just out of sheer academic curiosity. Could the water be eliminated by
> soaking the whole unit in isopropilic alcohol a few times ?
>
> Of course I would be slightly scared of the alcohol or it's fumes
> hanging in the "case" waiting to ignite when heat/sparks from
> electricity arrived :)

Even clean water is fine for rinsing circuit boards.  The problem comes
when things disolved in the water are left behind, when the water
evaporates.  Incidentally, water and steam are commonly used to clean
circuit boards, during the manufacturing process.  In fact, the new
"environment friendly" solder fluxes are water soluable, so that other
solvents don't have to be used.  I have also, on many occasions, used
water to clean dirty circuit boards.