[ltp] few questions to begin with an x40

come se fosse antani linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:16:31 +0000

------=_Part_2469_14248442.1127495791608

Hi. I'm a newcomer.
I've a thinkpad x40 since few days; I found a lot of pages regarding the
installation and configuration of linux on such laptop, but the most author=
suggest to use APM instead ACPI. right now I'm using a
2.6.12.6<http://2.6.12.6>kernel configured with apm (I need .12 in
order to use an orinoco patch for
kismet) and it works with susp-on-ram.
I tried, with the same kernel version, to:
- compile without apm, with acpi, with (1) and without (2) the thinkpad acp=
support
- (3) compile an acpi kernel with the latest ibm-acpi modules (downloaded
from the site)

In the 3 cases I'm not able to susp-on-ram the laptop; I've activated
hotkeys but fn+f4 (that works fine with apm) don't "respond". Checking with
acpi_listen, I can see the sleep signal, but nothing happens.

I'm not a powermgmt-guru and I don't know where can I find a guide to
configure this kind of stuff.
- in order to use the x40, which is the better solution? apm or acpi? I mea=
regarding battery life, features, suspend possibility...
- After compiling an acpi kernel, and installing the ibm-acpi modules, what
I've to do in order to use the acpi features?
- or: where can I find an exaustive description of the work I've to do?

thanks and sorry for long posting

antani

--
keep in mind the power of antani
antani at gmail dot com

------=_Part_2469_14248442.1127495791608

Hi. I'm a newcomer.<br>
I've a thinkpad x40 since few days; I found a lot of pages regarding
the installation and configuration of linux on such laptop, but the
most authors suggest to use APM instead ACPI. right now I'm using a
 .12 in order to use an
orinoco patch for kismet) and it works with susp-on-ram.<br>
I tried, with the same kernel version, to:<br>
- compile without apm, with acpi, with (1) and without (2) the thinkpad acp=
i support<br>
- (3) compile an acpi kernel with the latest ibm-acpi modules (downloaded f=
rom the site)<br>
In the 3 cases I'm not able to susp-on-ram the laptop; I've activated
hotkeys but fn+f4 (that works fine with apm) don't &quot;respond&quot;. Che=
cking
with acpi_listen, I can see the sleep signal, but nothing happens.<br>
I'm not a powermgmt-guru and I don't know where can I find a guide to confi=
gure this kind of stuff.<br>
- in order to use the x40, which is the better solution? apm or acpi? I
mean regarding battery life, features, suspend possibility...<br>
- After compiling an acpi kernel, and installing the ibm-acpi modules, what=
 I've to do in order to use the acpi features?<br>
- or: where can I find an exaustive description of the work I've to do?<br>
thanks and sorry for long posting<br>
ni at gmail dot com<br><a href=3D"http://www.orangeek.org">www.orangeek.org=
</a>

------=_Part_2469_14248442.1127495791608--