[ltp] Terminal Sound

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:11:48 +0200

--=-quYHl1zWm3zTSYmoSJVL

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 11:32 +0200, Lars Roland wrote:
> Hi all
>=20
> I have a t42 and is running gentoo on it - I am getting somewhat tired
> of the laptop speaker making a sound when I use the terminal (usually
> when trying to expand a non-atomic path using the tab key). I have
> tried muting everything using alsamixer and have cycled through all
> the settings in the bios but I am unable to find the right place to
> turn off this behaviour (perhaps its an acpi setting ?). If anyone
> know how to make it completely quiet then I will be happy to hear how
> (I can live with the occasional sound when using the fn key).
>=20
>=20
> Regards.
>=20
> Lars Roland

hi,

it's the PC-Speaker in your thinkpad :)

You can disable the bell in linux globally:

edit the file /etc/inputrc and add this:

# do not bell on tab-completion
set bell-style none

Greetz

Konstantin

--=20
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
instructions.

--=-quYHl1zWm3zTSYmoSJVL

--=-quYHl1zWm3zTSYmoSJVL--