[ltp] kubuntu breezy on a22p

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:29:29 -0700

Another single data point that may be of interest.  Due to an impending HD
death (thank you  smartmontools!), I had to refresh my disk and took the oppo
to update from a hash of MEPIS/vanilla Debian (which worked pretty well) to
kubuntu, as ubuntu is the std at work.

To my leery astonishment, just about everything works.  Suspend on ACPI works
(1st time ACPI has EVER done anything except lock the system), altho it uses
scads of power (1/4 of power gone in 2 hours - useless except for short
transports to home - my usual usage).  But HIBERNATE also works out of the
box - just adjusted the settings on the KDE control panel and it hibernates
(!). First time I've EVER seen that.  And more amazing, it comes back from
that misty place of dreams with everything intact (tho it takes a while to
restore from disk).

Sound works, eth0 and 2 wireless cards work (Orinoco silver 11Mbs, Zyxel G100
(Prism-54 chipset). the only disappointment is X acceleration which isn't
even dismal.  But it's fine for 2D.

It's the best KDE installation I've seen yet.

The development config is non-existant tho - there's not even a compiler in
the default install which was a shock, but everything is available via
apt-get.  The upside of this is you only install those dev tools you want,
rather than the kitchen sink of tools that usualy ocme on board.

--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847 (vox; email for fax) - hjm@tacgi.com