[ltp] kubuntu breezy on a22p

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:15:15 +0100

Harry Mangalam wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2005 07:51 pm, Richard Neill wrote:
>
>>Harry Mangalam wrote:
>

>>>To my leery astonishment, just about everything works.  Suspend on ACPI
>>>works (1st time ACPI has EVER done anything except lock the system),
>>>altho it uses scads of power (1/4 of power gone in 2 hours - useless
>>>except for short transports to home - my usual usage).  But HIBERNATE
>>>also works out of the box - just adjusted the settings on the KDE control
>>>panel and it hibernates (!). First time I've EVER seen that.  And more
>>>amazing, it comes back from that misty place of dreams with everything
>>>intact (tho it takes a while to restore from disk).
>>
>>I'm impressed. My A22p only works with apm, and even apm-suspend is
>>sometimes slightly flaky. If you get 25 successful consecutive ACPI
>>suspend-resume cycles without a crash, do let me know!
>

> Will do.  I believe you're right about the hibernate.  once activated (by
> closing the cover), the disk works furiously for a bit (Writing 512M of RAM
> to the swap space) and then it turns itself off.  When you open the lid, it
> doesn't automatically turn itself on, but when you hit power, it goes thru an
> accelerated boot process which restores the saved state from RAM.  There were
> a tense few moments when the display was horribly messed up, but after a few
> more momnets, that too settled and everything but the network was restored (I
> had moved it to home so the network configs wouldn't have worked anyway).
>
> Impressive.

Absolutely. How does it cope with re-loading drivers? Eg if you have an
external disk mounted by firewire HDD, or if you currently have the
sound card open by Xmms ?

>>Incidentally, I'm guessing that hibernate here is the Linux "suspend2"
>>system, which is performed entirely in software and without the BIOS.
>>
>>Slightly OT:
>>I did try a Kubuntu install this weekend, but I had to give up on it. In
>>this case, it was on a Mini-Itx box with a 1GB Compact Flash card as the
>>hard disk. Sadly, Ubuntu tried to install too-much by default, and
>>crashed out with disk-full before I could intervene to get a minimal
>>system.  Mandriva at least fits, although it has some stupid
>>dependencies (eg why must I have mDNSresponder and foomatic installed
>>just to keep rpmdrake? And why must I have CUPS installed in order to
>>get KDE?). Surely one should be able to fit the following into 1GB:
>>    Kernel + Base System + X (not broken!) + SSH
>>    Emacs. KDE (minimal). Xscreensaver. Firefox (+Java,Flash).
>>    VLC. Mplayer. Appropriate codecs. XMMS. Amarok. MythTV-frontend.
>

> It's been a while since I tried to find a tiny Linux, but I seem to remember
> Damn Small Linux was just that.  I think tho that KDE was not possible on the
> installation disk (bootable bizcard), but it could be installed later, tho
> this would be a nightmare.

DSL seems great - but there are only a few packages available for it.
MythTV isn't included. Also, it has no real package-management system.
I think I can live with Mandrake for now - if I really need the space, I
might go through /usr with "rm -rf" and leave rpmdrake in blissful
ignorance. It's one way of satisfying dependencies :-)

Richard