[ltp] kubuntu breezy on a22p

Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:08:06 +0100

>>Absolutely. How does it cope with re-loading drivers? Eg if you have an
>>external disk mounted by firewire HDD, or if you currently have the
>>sound card open by Xmms ?
>

> Well, I hibernated the laptop when still connected to several machines, and
> when hibernated, I removed the disk to screw it into a new cradle, then
> re-inserted the disk and powered up.  When it came up, not only were the
> screen and apps up and active as they were before, but so were the ssh
> connections to the remote machines.  sound was dead tho and I've not been able
> to figure out how to restart it after a few minutes of poking at likely
> scripts.
>
> I've done it several times (tho not 25 yet - probably 10) and it's always come
> back.  One more note after I hit 25 :)

I'm impressed about the SSH bit!

As for sound, it seems that you need to stop all applications which use
the soundcard [KDE usually suspends arts], and then unload and re-load
the kernel modules. In mandrake, "service alsa stop; service sound stop;
service sound start; service alsa start" seems to work.

I imagine that the problem is this: after resume, you need to
re-initialise the sound card, since it has been powered off. That means
you need to re-load the kernel modules. But any app playing sound still
has the file /dev/dsp open.

Is it even possible to "pull the rug out" from under an application, by
closing /dev/dsp and then re-opening it, without the application being
aware of this?

Richard