[ltp] OSD for Thinkpad Buttons?

Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:07:04 +0100

John wrote:
> On (04/04/06 14:16), Daniel Baule wrote:
>
>>To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
>>From: Daniel Baule <baule@upb.de>
>>Subject: [ltp] OSD for Thinkpad Buttons?
>>Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:16:47 +0000
>>	autolearn=no version=3.1.0
>>
>>does anyone know a program similar to tpb?
>>I would like to have an OSD for my Thinkpad Buttons but canīt get tpb to work
>>under KDE and Gentoo, because i do not have access to /dev/nvram. At the
>>moment i have to change permissions for the nvram manually after each Reboot.
>>I then can start tpb manually and it works till the next boot.

Udev is the Right way to do this - but there are 2 hacks and an
alternative way:

Hack 1)Append this to /etc/rc.local

  chmod 444 /dev/nvram

[rc.local is the command that gets run after everything else has
finished, at the end of the boot process. I'm not sure what gentoo call it]

Or

Hack 2) Edit the file which starts tpb: /etc/X11/xinit.d/tpb

I'm not sure whether this is started as root, in which case the chmod
666 will do, or whether this command runs as you. If the latter, use
"sudo chmod 444 /dev/nvram"
and with an appropriate entry in /etc/sudoers

3)If you are using pam.console, then this is what is required. Mandriva
has the following entries defined in  /etc/security/console.perms:

   <misc>=/dev/nvram
   <console>  0400 <misc>       0600 root

i.e. the first logged in user gets the device chowned to them, and perms
set to 400; when they log out, it is restored to 600 and owned by root.

Regards,

Richard