[ltp] [ANN] tp_smapi 0.19 adds dates, improves stability

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:16:15 +0300

On 4/8/06, David A. Desrosiers <desrod@gnu-designs.com> wrote:
>         cat cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq
>         2100000
>         modprobe tp_smapi
>         cat cpufreqd/cpuinfo_max_freq
>         1200000

I've never seen this, and can't reproduce this.
Might it be some script invoked by modprobe?
Do you see any other abnormal effects, e.g., dmesg entries or high
reported temperatures?
Do you ever see cpuinfo_max_freq changing at other times?
What happens if you load only tp_base (no tp_smapi or hdaps)?

Does anyone else see this effect?

> > BTW, my understanding is that "exercising" the battery by cycling it
> > will wear it down badly. Working on the last few percents of
> > capacity (i.e., low voltage operation) is especially bad for Li-Ion
> > batteries.
>
>         In my case, I'm having exactly the opposite results. I
> actually have added about 15% of life back into 1 of the batteries by
> repeatedly draining and recharging the battery, while the laptop is
> unattended and powered off.

The first cycle may have recalibrated the the battery controller's=20
estimate of capacity, but are you sure the subsequent cycles also made
an improvement?

>         I'm sure I won't get back to the full 71280 mWh, but its
> better than it was before, and I was about to buy new batteries
> anyway, since these are now 4 days out of warrantee, and don't hold
> more than 2 hours charge.
>
>         I wish *ANY* battery in the T42p would hold more than 2 hours
> of charge. The battery ratings I've been reading are completely false,
> and are fictitiously 3-4x the actual real-world results I'm getting on
> maximum power savings, in either Windows or Linux.

Under 2hr for a 9-cell is abnormally low, unless you're running the
CPU at full speed and adding in WiFi and such.

  Shem