[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:42:39 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Leon Brokken wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> [Slackware-current on T41 with kernel 2.6.14.4]
>
> When ripping a DVD (using MPlayer's mencoder) my thinkpad shuts down.
> Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after an hour, sometimes not at
> all. Booting with noacpi does not differ. It happens with and without X
> running. I can't find anything in the log files. Only thing I know is
> that all of a sudden I get "System is shutting down" with the typical
> messages.
>
> I have no idea if it has anything to do with MPlayer itself, or simply
> 'high load'. CPU temp seems to be reasonable (around 80C?), and there's
> plenty of free disk space.
>
> Does anyone know where I could look to figure out what's causing this? I
> used to rip DVD's before (on a previous install) without a problem.
>
> Cheers, Leon.

Hi Leon,

I'd almost guarantee it's doing it because it thinks it's overheating.
My T40 does the same, specifically ripping a DVD (I just can't do it).
If you see CPU temperature around 80 (and I'm never sure if it's
really that hot), then you can guarantee it's spiking up to 90,
and the system will shut down itself around there, briefly noting
that it's doing so via syslog.  I'm not sure what makes this happen
or how to control it, and many without T-series overheating problems
will say it's merely dust or something, but I've never managed to get
round my T40 overheating and shutting down this way unexpectedly.
Maybe I should call IBM to get them to check the heat dissipation
around the CPU.

I'm never sure of the CPU temperature is really that high, and what
decides to shut the system down at what it rates as emergency level (or
how to change it).  If anyone can clarify that, I'd be grateful... while
of course not wanting to risk melting my CPU, I'd like at least to
know...

Honey