[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

Leon Brokken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:26:13 +0200

honey wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Leon Brokken wrote:
>
> I'd almost guarantee it's doing it because it thinks it's overheating.
> My T40 does the same, specifically ripping a DVD (I just can't do it).
> If you see CPU temperature around 80 (and I'm never sure if it's
> really that hot), then you can guarantee it's spiking up to 90,
> and the system will shut down itself around there,
Thanks all for replying!

Yesterday I carefully watched the temp while ripping a dvd, and it was
around 75C, occasionally up to 77C. And (of course) it didn't halt! So I
agree that previously it might have spiked over 90C and halted because
of that. I found this setting:

bash-3.1# cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/trip_points
critical (S5):           93 C
passive:                 90 C: tc1=5 tc2=4 tsp=600 devices=0xdff4efa0
bash-3.1#

Cheers, Leon.