[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

honey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:03:53 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Leon Brokken wrote:

> bash-3.1# cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/trip_points
> critical (S5):           93 C
> passive:                 90 C: tc1=5 tc2=4 tsp=600 devices=0xdff4efa0
> bash-3.1#

Ah!  Thanks, I see now where the critical temperature for shutdown is
set.  The question remaining for me, who has the same problem as you
Leon is: do you really believe your CPU's temperature is hitting 93?
Because with my T40, this shutdown prevents me perform any DVD ripping
just as for you, and in the case of a long CPU-intensive compilation,
has me watching temperature like a hawk and ^Z'ing when it gets too hot.

I used to get round the problem by hacking the fan control scripts to
allow my fan to go into "disengaged" (crazy!) mode when the temperature
got beyond 70 degrees, but was advised here that might be bad for the
fan.  Although I may try that again...

I know T-series temperature problems are by no means ubiquitous, but a
lot of people seem to have them.

Honey