[ltp] T41 shutdown when ripping dvd

Igor V. Rafienko linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:27:39 +0200 (MEST)

on Apr 11, 2006, 15:10, honey wrote:

[ ... ]

> No, to be honest, I didn't.  It seemed a bit much to have to patch my
> kernel to make my thinkpad operate at sub-optimal speeds in order just
> to stop it overheating.

"Sub-optimal speeds" is simply incorrect. The cpu operates at the same
frequency when undervolted. IOW, the same amount of computation is
performed per time unit.

However, the CPU does receive less current, and consequently dissipates
less heat.

> It just seemed to me on a cursory reading that this was a bit of work
> that I shouldn't HAVE to do, in order for my thinkpad just not to
> overheat in relatively normal operation.

That, however, is true. The notebook should NOT overheat during normal
operation. Nor should it stay at 80C no matter what you do, in an
"average" office environment. If the machine is still under warranty,
contact IBM/Lenovo. If it is not, open it up and check that the heatsink
is properly seated on the cpu.

> I got in a mood with IBM and obstinately refused to break my thinkpad's
> performance just to stop it melting :)

One more time -- there is no loss of performance when the CPU is
undervolted.

> Besides, thought I, *some* other T-series owners don't have this
> problem, so it must be a manufacturing issue... so why should I cripple
> my thinkpad?

"Cripple" is inapplicable here.

The CPU on my T43 ran at about 59-61C when the gfxcard and the CPU are
100% busy. After undervolting the temperature dropped to 51C on full load.
That's for 2Ghz. During "normal" operation[1], the CPU stays at 38-39C
with ambient temp of 22-24C.

I did not need to undervolt, but my fan is more quiet now and I like it
that way. Given how simple the undervolting interface is:

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/voltage_table
1084,924,812,748,716
$

... it is hardly a chore to switch between different voltage levels. The
patching amounts to a one-off "patch -p1 -i <something>", which is no more
difficult than writing make menuconfig.

ivr
[1] "normal" == powersave governor && lowest frequency available. I do not
exactly need 2Ghz for day-to-day tasks.
--
Simula-konsulent? Simsulent? "I eat Java for breakfast!".
                                            -- thorkild