[ltp] How to control USB mouse speed

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:24:13 -0500

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 19:48, after a long battle with technology,
Osho GG wrote:
> I have couple of different wireless optical [mice] that I use with
> [a] Thinkpad T42p. The first is a bluetooth Logitech mouse [...] This
> works great. The second is a wireless optical mouse that has a
> receiver that is plugged into the docking station's USB port. The
> second mouse moves a lot faster for the same movement than the
> bluetooth mouse.
>
> If I change the acceleration setting in KDE's Control module for
> mouse it [affects] all the [mice]. How can I control the speed of only
> the USB mouse??

With difficulty, and it may not work correctly.  It doesn't appear to be
possible to change the resolution at runtime for a single mouse device
in Xorg 6.8.2, though maybe 6.9 or 7.0 have changed that.  There are
xorg.conf options for changing the resolution of a mouse device,
though.

Make sure you have 4 InputDevice sections in your xorg.conf , 1 for each
mouse, 1 for the keyboard.  If you have only 2 InputDevice sections,
and the mouse one is pointing at /dev/input/mice , this message won't
help you much.

Back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf , then find the InputDevice section for
your non-bluetooth USB mouse.  It'll probably look something like this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse2"  # don't change that from whatever it was
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"   "IMPS/2"  # de facto standard for USB mice
    Option "Device"     "/dev/input/mouse2"
    # don't change that from whatever it was
EndSection

...in that section, add the line

Option "Resolution" "90"

...and restart X.  See if the USB mouse behaves differently.  If it
doesn't, then it's probable the mouse itself doesn't support having its
resolution set.  If it does, keep varying the Resolution number and
restarting X until you get the desired behavior.

--
   Aye, on the shores of darkness there is light
     And precipices show untrodden green