[ltp] just a small OT

Pino Giaquinto linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:53:40 +0200

> Ted Frater's idea of buying another hard drive to run Linux is a good one.
> That way is _completely_safe.

I think this is the best idea... but on
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_diskswhere I
read:

When replacing the system disk with one that is not a ThinkPad option
designed for the specific model, the BIOS will display an "Error 2010"
warning during every boot. The system may still boot successfully, but may
be unreliable or slow.

Affected Models
  ThinkPad T43, T43p
  ThinkPad R52
  ThinkPad X41, X41 Tablet

Drives that work out the box
  Seagate ST9120821A (120GB 5400RPM)
  Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST980825A (80GB 7200RPM) on T43 with BIOS 1.23
  Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021A (100GB 7200RPM)
  Fujitsu MHV2100AH (100GB 5400RPM) on T43 with BIOS 1.23

ATTENTION: Even drives with identical part numbers may carry firmware with
different compatibility status, so do not blindly rely on this list.

Unfortunately I have just a TOSHIBA 40 GB (very good size for Linux!) and it
seems incompatible with my T43p :-(
I will call my hardware supplier as soon as possible to by a new HD, but
there are just other 2 questions:
1) Must I disable something in BIOS setup before the intallation of the new
HD to prevent the creation of a new IBM hidden partition?
2) The best choice can be: "Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021A"... I hope
that this HD have the right firmware and works on my T43p (it costs >200
euro on http://shopping.lycos.it and if I call IBM, this HD will costs more
money... sure!!!)... some suggestions for me?

Thank you very much for your help