[ltp] is my usb controller dead?

Bernhard Sputh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:18:20 +0100

On Saturday 22 April 2006 20:56, come se fosse antani wrote:
> Hi.
> I've a thinkpad x40 and I think that today my usb controller is dead.
> I had the usb mouse plugged and I plugged my nikon to the second usb port.
> the laptop shut it down immediately, without any warning.

Yes, I saw that behaviour twice with my R50p:

- The first time it was an external hard drive with a separate power supply.
In this case no USB devices were detected any longer, but my mouse still
turned on its light. Otherwise the system was normal. Ah yes when it happened
it smelled electrical (Capacitor smoke). IBM replaced the main board and that
was it.

- The second time I attached my Apple iPod cable without an iPod attached to
it.
System shut down and never came up again, but the system did not smell like in
the first case. Well again IBM replaced the motherboard, and I do not trust
the USB ports of IBM Thinkpads from now on. I hope they fixed the USB problem
in the next generation Thinkpads (T60 and X60) But the T4*, X4* and R5* are
on my radar as having a faulty USB circuitry. Otherwise they are fine
machines.

> Do you have any idea of what happened?

I guess Your USB circuitry is gone at least the connection between the root
hub and the connector. Call IBM for a motherboard replacement.

Cheers
Bernhard

--
Ryouga actually knew quite a few languages reasonably well; he could
say "where am I?" in over 90 languages, and in at least 200 dialects.