[ltp] Re: is my usb controller dead?

Andreas Ntaflos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:19:45 +0200

--nextPart9578463.OMWhachDgT

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 14:52, Bernhard Sputh wrote:
> This was highlighted to me by the fact that I could
> blow up the USB Controller by attaching a 100% working Apple iPod USB
> cable without an attached iPod. It seems that the X4*, T4*, and R5*
> have all the same USB circuitry design flaw.=20

This is very disturbing to hear. I seem, however, to have been lucky,=20
since I attached an iPod USB cable without an iPod on my T41p just two=20
days ago (before reading this) and both USB ports still seem to be=20
working fine.

How could attaching a cable (an open conduct) fry the USB controller, or=20
anything for that matter? Makes no real sense to me, but I'll refrain=20
from ever connecting a cable without anything attached to the USB port=20
again :)
=2D-=20
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos=20
daff AT dword DOT org