[ltp] What to do if I suspect I've got a lemon T60?

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 16:36:41 -0400

On 8/6/06, Whil Hentzen <linuxnews@hentzenwerke.com> wrote:
> I did a custom install so everything is gone. It's terribly disingenious
> of the mfgr to refuse to provide any sort of off-disk repair facility,
> but they can get away with it, so they do.

Well, you can usually get a set of install CDs if you call and ask (or
more likely, call and tell them you put in a new hard drive that
doesn't have the hidden partition and you'd like to install Windows on
it pretty please).

> It fries me to think that they won't diagnose/fix the box regardless of
> whether there's an OS on it or not, much less the OS that came with.
> Sort of like a car mfgr saying that they will only repair the car if you
> buy your gas from Exxon.

This hasn't been our experience.  A lot of our folks run Linux only on
their ThinkPads and we haven't had problems getting hardware support
from IBM.

It's more likely to be a problem if you return it to PC Connection,
but perhaps if it's defective they'll just ship it back to IBM anyway.
 Before you give up, you might as well call them and say you've
customized the machine but it's not working and can you just return it
for a replacement with the state of the hard drive as-is.  If that
doesn't work, you still have the basic warranty from IBM, so you can
call their support, you may just have to ship the machine to a depot
to get it fixed.

Thanks,
     Aaron