[ltp] Applying undervolting patches

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:52:26 -0400

Andrew Barr <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> writes:

> I think you should look into the undervolting patches available for the
> Linux kernel to get the equivalent of NHC. Look at ThinkWiki for more
> information.

Okay, doing that now, over the 2.6.17 kernel which by all accounts is
much better for speed and low power consumption.

One thing I don't know how to evaluate: am I better off with a
"vanilla" kernel, or should I be using the one from the ubuntu edgy
eft repository.  Obviously (?) ubuntu is patching the kernel in some
way; are those patches important to the correct operation of my
existing ubuntu installation?  I find plenty of HOWTOs out there from
people using vanilla kernel sources
(e.g. http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Kernel_Compilation_Dapper) so I
presume the differences aren't critical... but if they're not, why
does ubuntu bother with them at all?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting