[ltp] Making backup of BIOS settings?

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 02:40:34 -0400

Does it HAVE to be from within Linux? There are several very excellent
tools on the Ultimate Boot CD for dealing with the BIOS settings, and I
know several of them can binary-image the entire CMOS memory to a file,
for backup purposes. (And do other scary things like brute-force
settings passwords -- which proves to be a frighteningly easy task.)

Since you can't really CHANGE the BIOS configs from within Linux (does
tpctl even exist as a useful tool anymore?), it's not likely that those
settings are going to need automated, scheduled backups -- taking a
quick image while booted to CD seems sufficient and even prudent to me.
Especially since, if you ever needed to RESTORE that backup for any
reason, you'd presumably be required to be booted into a real / single
user mode console tool.

-FeRD