[ltp] a question about thinkpad history

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:19:43 -0400

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 14:48 +0200, Florian Manschwetus wrote:
> I am wondering why ibm only uses ati graficcards (when a real card is
> needed) especially in thinkpads

How is an ATI graphics card not a "real" graphics card? I'm getting over
2000+fps here with my ATI card in my Thinkpad T42p. Seems real enough
for me, and more than I need for this machine.

If I wanted a super-fast, high-powered graphics card, I'd get a real
monitor and a machine fast enough to drive it. A laptop just isn't the
platform for high-quality graphics (not to mention an LCD isn't going to
reproduce the color palette you'll need for proper photography, video
editing etc. applications that require those high-end graphics
adapters).