[ltp] a question about thinkpad history

fire-eyes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:34:59 -0400

On Thursday 24 August 2006 09:19, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> How is an ATI graphics card not a "real" graphics card? I'm getting over
> 2000+fps here with my ATI card in my Thinkpad T42p. Seems real enough
> for me, and more than I need for this machine.

I tend to agree with him. From day one with a radeon 9000 in my desktop years
ago with atis drivers, I've had all kinds of errors like missing textures all
the way to total system hangs. The open drivers have never cut it, but they
never once hung my system.

Now back on topic. I have a T43, it's got an X300 in it. Guess what ati's very
latest drivers do? If I suspend to ram, that works fine. When I come back, it
hangs the system hard and I have to run around doing fscks and sometimes end
up with damaged filesystems.

Suspending to ram and coming back is something i do more than once a day, so
that's a real stinker to me.

Another real stinker, is every time I log into any WM/DE using any DM, that
works fine. But when it is time to log out of said WM/DE and bounced back to
the DM, boom, total system hang. Again, often requiring a fsck of all
filesystems and sometimes leading to damage.

It's totally unacceptable. I often tell people this: I am THRILLED with my
T43, and I would gladly purchase whatever system is current at a later
date... BUT... Only if it didn't have an ATI card, because I am beyond fed up
with the crap quality of ati's drivers in the linux world. I don't ever
intend to purchase another ATI product in anything, including a laptop. If I
knew what I did now, I would have gone and bought something else. That's
right, this laptop that I love, I would avoid it if I knew about the ATI
issuess on a laptop ahead of time.

Anyway, back to the original point. I think much like the original poster did,
that ATI is not a "real" video card at least from the Linux perspective. ATI
has more than once stated that Linux is not a priority, and boy it shows in
their driver quality. I certainly will not be purchasing another Thinkpad in
the future if it has an ATI card.

Yep, ATI is the deal breaker for me now.

Ooo, that rant was fun.

--
99% of politicians make the rest look bad.