[ltp] Comparison: rovclock and PowerPlay

Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:15:44 -0500

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:38:31AM +0200, Matthias Redlich wrote:
> Now I wonder whether rovclock or Powerplay is better for power
> saving and lower temperature (fan always-on problem). Has anybody
> got a comparison? What about temperature? Do you have other good
> hints to reduce the power consumption of your ATI card?

One of the articles on ThinkWiki says that fglrx+powerplay provides
better power savings than rovclock/radeon.

Shameless plug: I wrote a script that should help you determine the
power drain of various configurations:

    http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Script_for_monitoring_power_consumption

The main thing the script lacks is some nice reporting feature.  It
currently just captures a bunch of information in a list() of dict()
objects (in Python).  Fortunately, this is quite human-readable.
(Adding such a nice summarizing capability to that script is on my
ever-growing TODO list ;)

Hope that helps!

Matt