[ltp] G series anyone?

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:04:56 +0000

Bert Haskins wrote:
> I am thinking about moving up to the G4? boxes.

Up? Just what are you moving from? I always considered the R and G
(especially the G) series to be very much the cheapo range. T, X or Z
every time.

> I only care about Thinkpads with the 15 inch screens.
> It will be used with both Fedora 5 or 6 and Ubunto Edgy.
> Fedora gives me music programs (CCRMA) and Ubuntu (6.10)
> gives me GPS programs and a faultless suspend.
> I can't seem to get everything!! that I want in eitherdistro.

Music programs? You mean players or editors? What is CCRMA?
Anything that works in fedora should work in a sensible distro.

> So I would like to hear about Linux on the G4? series

Well thinkpads are usually amazing with Linux, but the cheaper models
have a tendancy to have cheap unknown makes of hardware in them for
things like wireless, usb, pcmcia, sound, graphics, etc which of course
means potential problems with linux support.

> and if it supports USB2

Should do these days, but read above.

I'm probably wrong about all this.