[ltp] Anyone else seen "T30" memory-slot failure in T2x or other models?

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:49:33 +0000

On Friday 01 December 2006 05:50, FeRD wrote:

> I have a T22 which has been suffering for quite a while (a year or so, I
> think) from a problem that sounds exactly like the T30's memory-slot
> problem, described here:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_failing_memory_slot
>
> However, the entry in ThinkWiki seems to indicate/assume that the
> problem is T30-specific.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem on the T2x series machines, or is it
> just mine? I'd like to update and generalize the ThinkWiki entry to
> include (at least) the T2x series, if it's a common problem there. I
> hadn't noticed the entry before, I only spotted it today because I'm
> researching a T30 I'll be given soon. (Yes, it's also experiencing
> memory-slot failure... I'm plagued, it seems.)

Yes, I have/had a similar memory problem on a T20.
At first the symptom was that only one of the two 256MB modules was seen.
But it gradually got worse, until the system became unusable,
as it would either not start because if found no memory,
or else crash after a short time.

I came to the conclusion that something more than the memory socket
as at fault (I suspected a crack in the motherboard underneath)
but maybe I was overly pessimistic?

Incidentally, the suggested solution in the wiki is rather vague -
"cut a small strip of metal and fold it in half" -
what kind of strip of metal are we talking about? and why metal?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366