[ltp] a problem with the plug on the mother-board of a R50e

Daniel Skorka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 23:03:05 +0100

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:10:26PM +0100, Francois Maltey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of my child (I don't know which, it's the other ;-)) shoots in the
> AC adaptator and now the yellow plug on the mother-board is very weak.
>
> It don't work with his own adaptator and it's difficult to connect an
> other Thinkpad adaptator on this plug, I must turn it very slowly until
> it's right, and any move of the laptop cuts the alimentation.
>
> What can I do ?

If I understand you correctly, the power connector in your Thinkpad
somehow was mistreated, and you now have a very loose contact. Is this
so?
I have seen this problem on other laptops (not IBM) and what happens is
basically this: The power connector is solder to a board (sometimes the
mainboard, sometimes not). Due to repeated stress, the solder joint loses
in integrity until the point where it actually breaks in two.
Those parts can still have electrical contact if you are careful, but
any vibration will cut the connection. The only way to repair this is to
open the laptop, get to the broken joint and re-solder it. In your case,
I fear your power connector itself might be broken, in this case you'll
have to replace it. It's a standard part and should not be hard to get a
replacement.

> The technical guide describes how it's difficult to acces to the
> mother-board. I don't want to open it nor solder on it.

In that case, you should get someone you trust to do it, or send it in
for repairs.

> Can I repair the plug from outside the laptop ?

No.

> Where are the contacts ? What can I do ?

Inside. Besides the above, nothing.

> Is it dangerous for the laptop ? I fear to break down this poor laptop.

Continually connecting and disconnecting AC power might be bad for the
battery and also for the circuits responsible for charging/discharging.
You really should get this fixed.

Daniel
--
"Mainstream commercial nihilism can't be trusted?!"
"`Fraid not kiddo."