[ltp] T43p, Port Replicator II and external TFT fails

Wolf-Jobst Siedler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:14:54 +0700

Hi!

I am using Fedora Core 5 with X.org on my T43p. The Thinkpad LCD has
screen resolution of 1024x768. The graphics driver is the regular Radeon
driver.
Now I got a Port Replicator II and an external TFT (Samsung 740B,
1280x1024, DVI).

What I would like to achieve is:
1. When running the ThinkPad outside the docking station, it should use
the built-in LCD panel at 1024x768.
2. When docked, the notebook lid should remain closed and I would like
to use exclusively the external TFT at 1280x1024.

Where I am locked:
I get the docked (and closed) ThinkPad to recognize the DVI connection
to the external TFT (BIOS settings were adjusted to DVI+LCD). It boots
and can use the TFT, together with external keyboard and mouse.
If the notebook lid remains open, still only the external TFT is active
(the built-in LCD remains dark).
Unfortunately, I am unable to set the resolution to 1280x1024 - it
remains at 1024x768 (the Samsung 740B does not appear in the hardware
list included with FC5). I tried direct editing of xorg.conf, but still
no success.
I seems to me as if I am still missing the point in xorg.conf and the
TFT, when connected, just drops in for the internal LCD (including in
its settings).

This is the current state of my xorg.conf (I am admittedly quite
confused now):
============
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Multihead layout"
	Screen      0  "Internal LCD" LeftOf "Screen1"
	Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	Option	    "Xinerama" "off"
	Option	    "Clone" "on"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "External"
	Screen      0  "Screen1" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "LCD Panel"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
	HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
	VertRefresh  40.0 - 70.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor1"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "SyncMaster 740B"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
	VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Radeon M22 Alone"
	Driver      "radeon"
	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Radeon Mobility M300]"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard1"
	Driver      "radeon"
	VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
	BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Radeon Mobility M300]"
	Option	    "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, TMDS"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Internal LCD"
	Device     "Radeon M22 Alone"
	Monitor    "LCD Panel"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
#		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
#		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen1"
	Device     "Videocard1"
	Monitor    "Monitor1"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
#		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Group        0
	Mode         0666
EndSection

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

Regards,
Wolf-Jobst