[ltp] fan issues T43p

Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:34:51 +0100

Hello everybody,

I plan on giving my old Thinkpad R50e to my brother as a christmas gift and I want to buy a Thinkpad T43p with the following settings:

Intel Pentium M 770, 2,13 GHz, Cache 2 MB, Front Side Bus 533 MHz, Intel Centrino
2048 MB DDR2 SDRAM PC 4200 (533 MHz)
14,1" 1400 x 1050 Pixel (SXGA+ TFT)
ATI Mobility FireGL V3200 128 MB
HDD 80 GB, 5400rpm
DVD-RW/CD-RW Multiburner DVD-RW/CDRW

I found some installation tests on the T43p reporting "the fan always on problem". The fan seems to be running as if it had to cool both, the CPU and the graphics card.

So I have 3 questions:
- If anyone of you has a Thinkpad T43p with similar settings, how often is the fan running and how loud is it? I don't want to buy a notebook louder than my vacuum cleaner ;-) and I don't want the fan to wear out soon.
- Is this an ATI/NVIDIA specific problem?
- Do you know of a Thinkpad (I'd prefer a T-model) with integrated graphics card and 1400x1050 or even 1600x1200? Because an integrated graphics card should solve the problem, right?

Thank you very much for your help,
Patrick