[ltp] fan issues T43p

Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:28:38 +0100

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 23:34:51 +0100, vampir@gmx.net wrote:

[...]

> So I have 3 questions:
> - If anyone of you has a Thinkpad T43p with similar settings, how
> often is the fan running and how loud is it? I don't want to buy a
> notebook louder than my vacuum cleaner ;-) and I don't want the fan
> to wear out soon.

I only know the behaviour of a T43 (2 GHz Pentium M, ATI x300 graphics)
in Windows XP: The fan starts after a while and won't go off anymore.
The CPU is clocked down by a tool and the case is really cool, but the
fan is running forever. It's silent compared to some other notebooks,
but for me it's somewhat disturbing if you are used to a laptop that
only starts the fan for a short moment and is totally silent otherwise.

I've heard that this is a problem with missing power management of
PCIe, and maybe it gets even worse due to the fact that the WLAN is
always active in this T43.