[ltp] tpb doesn't display brightness increase

Rob Hess linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:03:25 +0000

Hi,
     This isn't a problem of major significance, but I'd like to solve
it anyway.  I recently noticed that on my T60, tpb generates an
on-screen display for decreases in screen brightness but not for
increases in brightness.  It does print a console message for both
increases and decreases in brightness that reads "Brightness changed:
Level x".  Pressing fn-end (brightness down) results in the following
line in dmesg:

Dec 17 22:46:12 calvin video device notify

However, pressing fn-home (brightness up) results in the following four lines:

Dec 17 22:46:16 calvin video device notify
Dec 17 22:46:16 calvin set_level status: 0
Dec 17 22:46:16 calvin logger: ACPI event unhandled: ibm/hotkey HKEY
00000080 00001010
Dec 17 22:46:16 calvin logger: ACPI event unhandled: video LCD0
00000086 00000000

I know I could write an acpi event/action to catch the acpi event and
make a little osd, but I want tpb to do that, as it's supposed to.

The only potential problem I might see is that nvram does not act the
way it used to for some reason, and a new bit in nvram designates an
increase in brightness.  Could this be the case?  If so, what could
have caused it?  Could it have resulted from new versions of tp_smapi
and thinkpad_ec?

Thanks.

-Rob