[ltp] enumeration of BIOS actions?

Sun, 24 Dec 2006 02:06:21 -0200

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Paul Fox wrote:
> is there a list somewhere (docs, IBM docs, code, ??) that would
> specifically talk about actions that the BIOS takes on its own,

No.  That information is either nonexistant, or stuff IBM and Lenovo are not
interested into sharing.

> versus actions taken by acpi in response to BIOS events?  i assume
> there _are_ autonomous BIOS actions, correct?

Correct.  ThinkPads do SMIs like crazy, and SMI code runs on sort of a "uber
ring zero" (system management mode), which overrides *EVERYTHING*.

And it does dumbass things while in SMI mode too, which is why you must
never have the NMI watchdog enabled in a SMP ThinkPad, for example.

> for instance -- i'd like to keep the wireless card powered down
> all the time, unless i explicitly turn it on (with F5), and then,
> of course, i'd like it to stay on.  on my X41, running ubuntu

If it is an Intel card, just tell the driver to do so.  That's how I run
mine:

/etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad-t43:
options ipw2200 disable=1 led=1 hwcrypto=0 associate=0

> but in any case, there are also other examples that i'd like to
> understand better:  there are state changes that occur when i
> connect to my ultrabay dock -- external monitor, etc.  since i
> see nothing under acpi for "docked/undocked", again, i assume
> these changes are caused by the BIOS, but again, i'm not sure.

Most of docking changes are done through ACPI and SMI.

  Henrique Holschuh