[ltp] New Thinkpad and First Steps

Paul Michael Reilly linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:58:28 -0500

I am expecting a shiny new Z61p any day now.  Of course, it comes with
Windows installed by default.  Past experience tells me that this time I
had better generate the disk backups (and verify them) BEFORE I wipe the
disk and install Fedora Rawhide --- I plead guilty to living on the
bleeding edge, with much blood already spilled and more to come ... it
hurts so good, :-)

I am toying with (re)installing the backups under VMWare, Zen or KVM
(advice sought) but I seem to recollect that the backup mechanism
trashes anything already on the disk, thus undoing my Fedora install.
Can anyone confirm this and recommend how I can install the
provided/licensed Lenovo Windows/XP system as a guest OS under one of
the virtualized kernels?  I realize I could install Fedora as a guest
and am consciously rejecting that idea primarily because I use many vts
(Ctrl-Alt-Fx) which, unless I am seriously mistaken, is not viable from
a guest OS.  Also, my heart lies with Linux.  It just adds stress to my
life to have to deal with Windows for any more than to run Quicken
occasionally (and I'll gladly accept recommendations of a Linux Quicken
replacement --- I've had mixed result with Wine et.al.)

Thanks,

-pmr