[ltp] Z60m internal Conexant HSF Modem

Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:21:10 +0000

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> Thanks Richard
>
> I was wrong about the "loss" of the ethernet interface, or at least partially
> wrong. I have found that if I boot the machine up with the Xircom card
> inserted in the PCMCIA slot, then the internal ethernet interface is not
> detected, but if I boot up with the Xircom out, and then insert it after the
> machine has come up, then the internal card is not affected.  I can live with
> this situation, but I would still be very happy if I could get the infernal
> hsfmodem to function.

I'm willing to bet that you haven't really lost it, just that the
network device has not had its module loaded. Here is the easiest (I
hope!) way to fix it:

1)What modules are loaded when you have the xircom?
   lsmod > xircom.txt

2)What modules are loaded when you boot without the xircom
   lsmod > normal.txt

3)Use diff to discover which module your internal ethernet uses.
    diff -u xircom.txt normal.txt
It's probably e100 or something.

4)Boot with the xircom. Then `modprobe e100` (or whatever).
Does an extra interface appear in `ifconfig -a` ?

5)Force that module to load always: add to /etc/modprobe.preload
     e100      (or whatever it is)
Reboot.

6)You should now find that every time you boot, eth0 is always the
internal network. eth1 should appear when you plug in the xircom (no
need to reboot) and disappear when you eject it (cardctl eject).

7)Reconfigure the network using the GUI tools as needed to fix any IP
addresses and default routes.

Richard

P.S. ifconfig -a will show the MAC addresses of the interfaces. That
will help you work out which is which!

P.P.S. There are less ugly ways to achieve this, but the above is
probably simples.