[ltp] RAM and Thinkpads

Duncan Anderson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:20:03 +0200

On Sunday, 5 February 2006 23:03, Nathan Bergen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at upgrading the 256mb in my X30, and I'm curious how well
> most ram works with thinkpads.  I know laptops are often picky-choosy,
> and I'm wondering " If I buy a generic 512mb PC133 stick of eBay, will
> it work with my Thinkpad?  I'm looking more for recognize-compatibility
> here, rather than will-it-fit-in-the-slot.
>
> Thanks!
> Nate
Hi Nate

Be very careful. I tried upgrading my old T22's RAM once when I went to visit
a friend of mine in Switzerland, and whereas the generic module he had looked
the same as the 128MB module that was in the machine, it did not work. In
order to test it we plugged it into one of his HP laptops, and it worked, so
the module was in working order. The bloke who sold me that T22 did warn me
about this sort of thing. I wonder if the same thing applies to an X30?

regards
Duncan