[ltp] Searching for an old IBM warhorse

John Morton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Feb 2006 12:14:51 +0000

This may be late as I get the digest.

 > Could you tell me which IBM notebook is in your opinion the warhorse
 > > until know. I do not mean which one is the fastest or newest.
 > > I'm searching for the one which seems to be the most stable and
reliable
 > > one. Which model still works after years of extensive use for
example by
 > > your sales representatives (In my opinion the worst scenario for a
 > > notebook  ;)  )?

 > 600x is the perfect Linux notebook. The only thing you might have to
 > fiddle with a little is the XOrg configuration. Also make sure you
 > boot with ACPI and local APIC turned off. Debian found everything but
 > the configuration of the video. Once you add the information that
it's > capable of 1024 x 768, you're golden.

And I'll echo this too.
The 600X is a gem.
Robust, reliable, no slouch either with maxed out memory - W2K or Linux.
Here's my twopennyworth.
Don't fall for a 600E, it's significantly different internally, even
though physically it looks the same.
600E has a Pentium 2 (P3 in the X), lower memory limitation,
sound/interrupt problems with Linux. And the 600E HDD is smaller, older,
thicker, slower and noisier (you'd hate the whine in a quiet
environment). The 600X really is surprisingly quiet.

Ubuntu installs happily with same provisos.
Mainly:  noapic nolapic acpci=off apm=on (just to make sure!)
floppy=thinkpad (not sure if this is necessary but it works)

HTH
John Morton