[ltp] Searching for an old IBM warhorse

Charles E "RIck" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:37:42 -0500

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 12:14 +0000, John Morton wrote:
> This may be late as I get the digest.

> And I'll echo this too.
> The 600X is a gem.
> Robust, reliable, no slouch either with maxed out memory - W2K or Linux.
> Here's my twopennyworth.
> Don't fall for a 600E, it's significantly different internally, even
> though physically it looks the same.
> 600E has a Pentium 2 (P3 in the X), lower memory limitation,
> sound/interrupt problems with Linux. And the 600E HDD is smaller, older,
> thicker, slower and noisier (you'd hate the whine in a quiet
> environment). The 600X really is surprisingly quiet.

Why on Earth would you want to use the original hard drive on a laptop
that old?  It'll be slow, loud, and more likely to fail than a newer one
with less hours on it.

It's almost trivially easy to upgrade the hard drive in most Thinkpads -
and I'm sure the 600X is no exception - especially if you want to run a
modern Linux with its larger apps.

For support of modern Linux distributions *and* portability *and*
cheapness it's hard to beat something like an X22.  You get basic 3D
support, built-in ethernet and a (usually) supported modem.  Plus, it's
tougher than it looks. :)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com