[ltp] Celeron M: sentenced to fan for life?

Dan Jacobson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 04:53:08 +0800

> Anybody with Celeron M kept the fan off for longer than 90 seconds?

< there are people who believe that frequency modulation has no
< measurable effects on Celeron M's. Just try it and you will find out.

$ cpufreq-info
  driver: p4-clockmod
  hardware limits: 175 MHz - 1.40 GHz
  current CPU frequency is 175 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
$ time seq 999999 >/dev/null #takes 8 times longer, so the above is true.
$ echo 7 >/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/throttling #indeed slows it down even more.
However, as above no measurable effects. I even opened the r50e's
CDROM and PCI card doors. Just the same cycling between 54 and 62
degrees, 90 seconds fan off, 60 seconds fan on. (Fan on proportion
slowly grows too.)

So I am sentenced to never being away from the sound of the fan for
more than 90 seconds?! You know, the feeling is like you have a child
only to find out he has birth defects. What a loser I am.

(P.S., saw "p4-clockmod: Warning: Pentium M detected..."!)