[ltp] R51 CD/DVD speed

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:43:21 -0500

Whenever I hit hardware-performance issues like this, my first course of
action (after fiddling with the appropriate software knobs, as you
already have) is to try and eliminate the OS as the source of the problem.

I'd recommend downloading and burning the latest Ultimate Boot CD from
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and running some of its hardware tests to
see if its results differ from what you're seeing in Linux. If you get
the same results throughout, it's most likely a hardware/firmware/BIOS
problem.

(Plus, the UBCD has come to the rescue for me on numerous occasions in
all sorts of different ways. I consider it an indispensable tool to have
at my disposal when working with Damn Hardware(tm).)

As a note of caution, some of the tools on the UBCD are dangerously
powerful, and if misused can cause data loss, physical damage, loss of
function, or incontinence. (And they could cause problems in your
computer, too!)

-FeRD

P.S> _ALL_ hardware is Damn Hardware(tm).